MALE BREAST SURGERY (Gynaecomastia)
Post-operative care for Gynaecomastia
- Post-operatively with a gynaecomastia operation a garment is worn and in an open technique drains will be inserted exiting under the armpits.
- Patients can shower a day post-operatively by removing the garment and getting the wounds wet.
- The dressings should be left on the wounds until the sutures are removed at about 10 to 14 days.
- The garment should be worn at all times except when showering for approximately four weeks.
- Upper limb and pectoralis activity should be avoided for at least three weeks post-operatively.
- Scar cream and tape will be applied at the time of suture removal and this will need to continue for approximately three months.
- Post-operative antibiotics are to be taken for 5 days.
- Post-operative pain relief will also be prescribed.
- I would ask patients to report any gross asymmetry which will mean that there might be a bleed in the side that is bigger.
Featured Artist: Craig Ruddy Work: Passage 1 (2004) Click for more information